Monday 11 November 2019

Superstitions About Christmas

Superstitions of the Christmas holiday season; including the history behind the Christmas Tree, decorations, the Yule Log, welcoming Father Christmas, being born at Christmas, and much more.

Christmas is one of my favorite family celebrations. As a French-Canadian, I grew up with a sense of tradition that especially focused on this time of year. My mother still starts shopping in January for next year's Christmas. So when our team was asked about when to take down your tree, we had to look up the rest of the superstitions around Christmas...


"I have been looking for the right answer to this question.  I have always heard that If you take your Christmas tree down before Jan 1st.  You will have bad luck for the rest of the year.  My sister who lives in another state has always heard that if you leave your tree and any of your Christmas decorations up till the first you would have bad luck. She takes everything down before Jan 1st.  I take them all down after the first of the year. Which of one of these superstitions would be correct. 

 Or if you have any input please let me know. Thank you, Tracey"

The actual belief is that all trees should remain up through the 12th night. That is the 5th of January -in fact, do not take down until the 6th. There is no bad luck attached at all have - I have friends that do it all ways and their luck doesn't vary. Not to worry take it down any time you want. V While Christmas for me and my family has always been a time to pull out the old decorations - and to celebrate the old traditions and family rituals, it has never been associated with any particular superstitions.... so I was very surprised to find that there are a LOT of funny beliefs, many contradictory, around this festival. Christmas Decorations

Here's what we found...

No comments:

Post a Comment